The Olivia Hodson Cancer Fund supports paediatric (childhood) cancer research in and palliative care at Great Ormond Street Hospital and the nearby UCL Institute of Child Health. The departments we work most closely with are Oncology, Haematology and Bone Marrow Transplants. Our aim is to help specialist centres such as these to offer continued excellence in treating young patients.
We often support projects in fields that struggle to access larger, grant-giving organisations.
The fund has supported over 100 projects in the following areas:
- Novel and innovative research projects, usually to establish a basis for large scale applications for funding (‘pump priming’)
- Research into new and alternative treatment strategies
- Projects supporting innovations in nursing, advanced training, palliative care and pain relief
- Contributions towards the cost of state-of-the-art equipment
- Programmes that offer practical and emotional support to patients, parents, siblings and staff